Arlo allows you to import and schedule multiple events at once. This is useful if you are on setting up a large schedule of new events, as many of the columns in the import file will use the same information. Events are imported in a draft state and need to be approved before they are published.
The following article outlines how to schedule multiple events at once by importing event dates and details from a spreadsheet.
Note: The event importer has a limit of 200 events at a time.
In this article:
- Performing an import
- Import restrictions
- Importing multi-session events
- Event default settings explained
- Import requirements
- Formatting dates
- Importing custom event fields
Performing an import
- From the main menu select Events.
- Press More and select Import Events.
- Click Download the Template File.
- Follow the process described on screen. Note: Events will be imported in a Draft state and be visible from the Draft tab within the Event sections.
- Approve the draft events.
The following types of events cannot be imported into Arlo:
- Private Events
- Multiple Session Events where:
- The sessions do not have a consistent schedule structure (e.g. sessions on every Monday for 4 weeks).
- The sessions do not have the same presenter.
- The event contains optional extras.
- The sessions do not have the same venue and room for each session.
- It is best to copy these events from an existing event (including all sessions and options).
- Online Activities
Importing multi-session events
You can import Multi-session events using the Arlo importer, but only where they have a consistent schedule, the same presenter and venue for each session, and do not contain optional extras or an option of sessions.
- The presenter, venue, and room, and start/end times must be the same for each of the sessions.
- You cannot import details of advanced schedule types such as advertised presenters, provisional presenters, and presenter requests.
- You cannot import events that have a choice of sessions or options (conference style event).
- A Multi-Session event that has a session every Tuesday 2-5pm for 5 weeks:
- CourseSchedule: Advanced
- NumberOfSessions: 5
- Session Days: Tue
2. A Multi-Session event that has sessions Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 2-5pm for 2 weeks:
- CourseSchedule: Advanced
- NumberOfSessions: 6
- Session Days: Mon,Tue,Wed
Where the importer can't create your multi-session events, you can copy event sessions and options to new events to save time.
Event information from the event template will be copied to the events you import.
Importer field information and requirements
Only required for 'Advanced' Events (CourseSchedule)
- CourseSchedule Options: Basic or Advanced
- StartDate e.g. 2-Jan-2019 Learn how to format dates.
- EndDate e.g. 2-Jan-2019
- StartTime e.g. 8:00 am
- EndTime e.g. 5:00 pm
- SessionDays Three characters (e.g. Tue) Separate multiple days with commas (e.g. Tue,Wed,Thu)
- VenueName Venue must already exist in Arlo. For Live Online events, we suggest creating a venue called Online (before commencing any event imports).
- RegistrationMethod Options: OrderProcess, QuickRegistration Note: Imported events will always use the templates registration form.
- DisplayOnWebsite Options: True, False. Default is True if column not included.
Arlo importers all accept the date format d-mmm-yyyy, e.g. 17-Apr-2019. If the dates in your data are not in this format, the data may not be imported.
To change the format to d-mmm-yyyy:
- Open the spreadsheet you're planning to import.
- Highlight all dates in the spreadsheet, being careful not to highlight the headings.
- Right click on your mouse and select Format Cells.
- From the Category section, select Custom.
- In the Type box, type 'd-mmm-yyyy'.
- Press OK.
Importing custom event fields
The column name to use to import custom fields is the field's system name.
To find this:
- From the dashboard, select Settings.
- Select Fields.
- Select Events.
- Find the custom field you would like to import and press Edit.
- Copy and paste the System name of the field onto your import template as a new column.
- Enter the data you would like to import in the new column.
- Repeat for other fields if needed.
- Save the import file to your computer, and complete the standard import process.