Reasons for Credit Card Refund Errors
There are three common reasons why a credit card refund will not go through.
a) Arlo has not received confirmation of the successful refund
Sometimes the refund has gone through, but Arlo has not received notification (a token) from Payment Express (DPS) to say that the transaction has been accepted.
It is best to rule this out first by logging in to DPS Payline to check the transactions for the refund. Read how to get to the transactions in DPS.
b) Your DPS account is locked, or the password for refunds has been changed
Your DPS account could have been locked or the password for refunds (the Post credentials) could have been changed.
Note: The password for this is changed if someone simply calls Payment Express to ask for the password. In this case, Payment Express will be able to advise.
In this case, creating a test order for $1 and attempting to refund it will help to see if this is the issue, or contact Payment Express.
c) Customer's Credit Card expired/cancelled
The customer's credit card could have expired or been cancelled since they made the purchase. Check with the customer to rule this out. If this is the case, you will need to make the refund via other methods, for example, a bank transfer to your customer's bank account. You will not be able to update the credit card details to process the refund.
d) Refund service is not configured in your Arlo platform
This is generally the case if you see the error "Refund failed. Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
Your merchant account or payment gateway may not give you the ability to make credit card refunds through another service like the Arlo platform.. For example, Payment Express / DPS customers require two credentials (PX Post username and PS Post password) to be able to make refunds through Arlo.
If your platform is not configured with these credentials, you will need to either gain these credentials and ask Arlo support to add them to your platform, or make the refund through your Payment Express account online.
e) Error message tells you to contact the issuer of the card
Please contact the card holder and ask if the card has been cancelled (see reason c) above). If not, please contact Payment Express support with the details of the transaction.
None of the above?
If none of the above reasons apply, please Contact Arlo Support for assistance. Do not continue trying to process the refund, or your Payment Express account may be locked. You may need to make the refund via other methods, for example, a bank transfer to your customer's bank account.
Processing a Refund from your Payment Express Account
If your refunds are not working from Arlo and you need to get a refund to your customer right away, follow the steps below to process a refund from your Payment Express account.
Note: The refund you create using this process will not automatically show up as being paid in Arlo, so you will need to manually update the credit note in Arlo to say that you have paid the refund to your customer.
Step 1: Log in to your Payment Express Online Payment Manager
- Go to https://www.paymentexpress.com/pxmi/logon.
- Enter in your username and password that Payment Express allocated to you. Note: This would have been allocated to the person that originally set up the Payment Express account. If you do not have it, an authorised person can get this information by calling Payment Express.
Step 2: Find the transaction that you need to refund
- In the online payment manager, from the left had menu, press Transactions.
- Then again from the left hand menu, press Refund.
- Use the search to find the transaction e.g. Select the date range the purchase was made within.
- Press Search.
- To the right of the transaction to be refunded, press Refund.
Step 3: Refund the Transaction
- Enter the details of the refund. Note: The refund password is given to the DPS account holder. Arlo may also hold this information, so if you don't have it then please contact Arlo support to ask for your refund password.
- Press Submit.
Step 4: Mark the Credit Note as paid in Arlo
Note: The refund you created will not automatically show up as paid in Arlo, so you will need to manually update the credit note in Arlo to say that you have paid the refund to your customer.
- Log in to
- From the main menu Select Orders.
- Find the credit note that you have refunded from the payment manager. Hint: Enter the credit note number or the name in the search box and press Enter to find it quickly.
- Select the order you would like to mark as paid by ticking the checkbox in the corresponding row.
- Press Paid.
- Choose the refund method and select the relevant communication options.
- Press Mark as Paid.