The following process describes how to create a new event with a choice of sessions.
Events with a choice of sessions:
- Can have multiple sessions at separately scheduled dates and times.
- Each session can have a different venue and presenter(s).
- Each session can have a price that is added to the order total.
- Sessions can be made mandatory, and be hidden from the website form.
- Registrants will be registered for the sessions they choose (plus any mandatory sessions) and will receive a calendar appointment for each.
- Can have optional extras.
Registrants will have a choice of the sessions they attend, and receive event instructions with the details of each individual session they have been registered on. Sessions can also be made mandatory if required.
If you need a multi-session event and would like registrants to have no choice of the sessions they are registering on, learn how to set up a multi-session event with no choice of sessions. Transfers are not available between multiple session events with a choice of options.
Important: If you have set up a multi-session event before, you will not have to set up a new one each time you need to run it. Learn how to copy sessions to a new event from a previous multi-session event.
Example: Optional sessions on an event registration form:
In this article
There are a number of steps to complete the event wizard in Arlo. Click on the links below to go straight to the instructions for a particular step.
- Type - Choose the type of event.
- General - Enter the general details of the event, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- Website - Enter information about the event to be displayed on your website.
- Schedule - Enter the dates, presenter(s), and other logistics of your event.
- Registrations - Choose the registration method, period of registration, and set registration limits.
- Communication - Choose and edit automated emails sent to registrants.
- Approve and confirm events - Approve and (if required) confirm any events in a tentative state.
Create an event
- From the main menu select Events.
- Press New Event.
Choose the type of event, e.g public or private event that is new or adding a new date to an existing event template.
- From the Create a new... section, select either New public event.
- If you have presets loaded that you wish to use for this event, from the Wizard options, click Select preset.
- If you have not run this event in Arlo or created a template for it, select I have not run this event before. Note: This will also create a new event template to be used in the future.
- If you have run this event in Arlo or there is a template for it, choose I have run this event previously and would like to schedule another, and then select the template from the list. Note: You cannot use a basic schedule template to schedule a multi-session event.
- Press Next.
If you are using an existing template, you can skip to the Schedule step if you do not need to change any of the events website information or pricing since you last run it.
Enter the general details of the event, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- From the General details section, enter the event name, and codes of your event. Note: Arlo recommends using the default codes which it will populate.
- If you have a specific user responsible for the event, assign them as an event or template manager.
- From the What is the schedule section, select Multiple sessions.
- From the Will attendees be able to choose their sessions section, select Choice of sessions.
- From the Price section, enter the price per registrant. If there is no price click Free event. Important: You can also add a price to individual sessions later in the process if needed. Arlo will always charge the registration price plus any session prices associated to the registration.
- If required, add your accounting codes and Xero tracking codes.
- If required, add professional development points or hours.
- Press Next.
Enter information about the event to be displayed on your website.
- From the Website page section, ensure your visibility and hosting settings are correct. Hint: The website visibility will be set to published by default, meaning anybody can find the event on your website.
- From the Website course content section, select the category/s the event should be displayed in on your website.
- Enter the information about your event that will be displayed on the event's website page. Hint: Correct badly Formatted Text copied from Word (Bad HTML).
- From the Website event content section, select if the event date should be published on your website, and whether or not the event should be published in your event list pages.
- Choose when the event should be published on your website.
- From the Lead generation section, select whether or not you would like to accept leads on the events website page.
- From the Sessions section, press Add session. Note: Arlo will use these details to generate the calendar appointment sent to registrants.
- From the General section, enter session name.
- If you would like a description to be displayed with the session on the registration form click Add description.
- From the Schedule details section, enter the date and time of the session.
- Type in the event venue, and room if necessary. Note: If the venue does not exist click + New to create a new venue.
- Add your presenter(s). Hint: Search for available presenters. If your presenters are to be confirmed, you can add provisional presenters. If the presenter does not exist click + New to create a new presenter.
- From the Financials section, enter in a price of the session. Important: If you have a price on the event already, the session price will be added to this for those who choose to register for it.
- From the Registrations section, choose if the session should be available on the website registration form. If it is not, registrants can only be added to the session internally.
- Choose the maximum registration limit for the session. Once this has been reached, the session will be shown as 'Full' on the registration form.
- From the Registration conditions section, select if registrants must attend. If this is selected, registrants will not have the ability to remove the session from their selection for the event.
- Press Save session.
- Repeat the above steps for each of the additional sessions you would like on the event.
- If you would like to remove some of the session presenters from being advertised, from the Main event details section deselect Automatically manage advertised presenters and remove the presenter from the advertised list.
- If required, assign support staff to the event.
- From the Options section, click +Add option to add any optional extras you would registrants to be able to purchase with their registrations. Note: Learn more about optional extras.
- If required, add your room setup and catering details for logistics management reporting.
- Press Next.
- From the General section, select Accept website registrations.
- Select the registration method appropriate for your event. Hint: If you need to take payment from registrants, select Order Process. If the event is free, select Quick Registration.
- Select the period that registrations will be open and close for the event.
- Select the registration policy for your event. Hint: Learn more about registration policies.
- From the Website registration form section, select the registration form for this event. Hint: Unless you need a specific field just for this event, you should use the default registration forms.
- From the Registration limits section, enter the registration limits and alerts for the event if required.
- Press Next.
Choose and edit automated event emails sent to registrants.
- From the Communication schedule section, ensure all appropriate emails you want to be sent are enabled.
- To activate an email click, Activate. To disable an email, click Deactivate. Hint: Active emails will appear as a white line, deactivated emails will appear as a shaded grey line.
- Click Activate to send event reminder emails to be sent to registrants.
- Click Activate to schedule any follow-up emails sent to registrants. Hint: We recommend only sending follow up emails either to all registrants, or attended and not attended registrants.
- Click Edit to add special instructions to the venue booking contact confirmation.
- Click Edit to add special instructions and attachments to your registration confirmation (event instructions) email sent to registrants.
- Click Edit to customize the follow-up emails sent.
- From the Sender details section, check that the sender details are correct for your event.
- If you wish for the event to be published immediately, and have finalised the event details press Create and approve.
- If you want to save the event, but do not want to publish it or have any communication sent out press Create as draft. You will be able to approve the event when you are ready. Learn how to approve draft events.
If you have the event confirmation workflow turned on you will also need to confirm the event is running. Learn more about the event confirmations workflow.
- Open the event you would like to confirm.
- Click Confirm this event.
- Select the appropriate confirmation actions and Press Confirm event. Note: Communication associated to a confirmed event may take up to 15 minutes to be sent.