The following article describes how to create a self-paced online activity. Arlo allows you to create self-paced events such as eLearning courses or on-demand videos, through the online activities feature.
You can list an online activity as a different delivery method for an event you also run in person, or you can host it separately on its own website template page.
In this article
There are a number of steps to complete the online activity setup wizard in Arlo. Click on the links below to go straight to the instructions for a particular step.
- Type - Choose if the online activity should use a template or not.
- General - Enter the general details of the online activity, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- Website - Enter information about the online activity to be displayed on your website.
- Schedule - Enter the activity URL.
- Registrations - Choose the registration method and registration form.
- Communication - Choose and edit automated emails sent to registrants.
- Approve and confirm - Approve the online activity.
- Optional - Link an online activity to Moodle
Create an online activity
- Open the Online menu.
- Press New online activity.
- If you have not run this activity in Arlo select New online activity.
Note: This will also create a new event template to be used in the future.
- If you have run this activity in Arlo or there is an existing template for it, choose New online activity from an existing template, and then select the template from the list.
- Press Next.
Enter the general details of the online activity, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- From the General details section, enter the activity name, and codes.
Note: Arlo recommends using the default codes which it will populate.
- If you have a specific administrator responsible for the activity, assign them as the activity or template manager. Activity and template managers can run reports for their activities and will receive email notifications about them.
- From the Terminology section, enter the term you would like your activity to be reflected as on the website and in the activity instructions e.g. "Thanks for purchasing this [Singular terminology]".
- From the Price section, enter the price per registrant. If there is no price click Free online activity.
- If required, add your accounting codes and Xero tracking codes.
- If required, add the professional development points or hours.
- Press Next.
Enter information about the online activity to be displayed on your website.
- From the Website page section, ensure your visibility settings are correct.
Hint: The website visibility will be set to published by default meaning anybody can find the online activity on your website.
- If you are hosting the web content externally, edit the Page hosting settings and add the URL of the page with your online activity content. Learn more about hosting your own event pages.
- From the Website course content section, select the category/s the online activity should be displayed in on your website.
- Enter the information about your online activity that will be displayed on the online activities website page.
Hint: Learn how to add new website content sections, or to Correct badly formatted text copied from Word (Bad HTML).
- From the Website online activity content section, select if the online activity should be published on your website.
- From the Online activity content section, enter the activity URL that will be sent to registrants to access the training material.
Note: Arlo will automatically add this URL to the activity instructions which you can edit at the end of this process.
- Select the registration method appropriate for the activity.
Hint: If you need to take payment from registrants, select Order Process. If the activity is free, select Quick Registration. If it is an external activity and you are not managing the registrations, select URL.
- Enter the Registration message to be displayed with the online activity on your website.
- From the Website registration form section, select the registration form for this online activity.
Hint: Unless you need a specific form for this online activity, you should use the default registration forms.
- Press Next.
- Choose and edit the automated activity emails sent to registrants.
- Click Edit to customize the Registrant instructions.
- Click Edit to customize the Registrant cancellation.
Approve and confirm
- If you wish for the online activity to be published immediately, and have finalised the details press Create and approve.
- If you want to save the online activity, but do not want to publish it or have any communication sent out press Create as draft. You will be able to approve it when you are ready. Learn how to approve draft events.
Link an online activity to Moodle (optional)
Arlo offers a full integration with Moodle (Learning Management System) and enables you to create modules that people can complete in their own time, online, from anywhere. These modules can include SCORM packages, quizzes, surveys, wikis, and assignments, all while tracking completion. Course completion information and grades are fed back to Arlo automatically.