In this article
The following article describes how to set up SurveyMonkey integration and provides links to relevant articles about using SurveyMonkey with Arlo.
Important: This feature is available on Arlo Professional and Enterprise plans only. Please contact Arlo Sales if you would like to be able to use this feature. The SurveyMonkey integration will only work with the SurveyMonkey Select (Standard) plan and above.
- Setup SurveyMonkey integration in Arlo
- Differences between sending surveys from Arlo, or from SurveyMonkey
- Surveys and attendance explained
- Create a new event with a survey or add a survey to an existing event
- Send a survey to registrants manually
- Check that an events survey sent
Arlo's SurveyMonkey integration allows you to automatically distribute surveys either when the event starts, when the event finishes, or when the registrants are marked as having attended the event.
The integration enables you to select which survey to send for each event, and whether to collate responses onto an existing survey or add them to a new survey created for the event. Surveys created via Arlo will have the event code added to the survey name, or you can rename them manually.
Note: Surveys will only send to registrants who were approved before the event started. If registrants are added after the event starts, surveys will need to be sent manually.
Set up SurveyMonkey integration in Arlo
- If you haven't already, sign up for SurveyMonkey.
- In Arlo, open the Settings menu.
- Select SurveyMonkey.
- Press Connect to SurveyMonkey.
- Authorise the connection to Arlo.
- In the Survey-wide survey settings, choose whether Arlo should dispatch surveys, or if SurveyMonkey should dispatch surveys. Note: Learn more about the differences between using Arlo or SurveyMonkey to dispatch surveys.
- If you have chosen for Arlo to send surveys, select the Custom Variables that Arlo should automatically add the survey responses. All response data exported in SurveyMonkey (XLS, XLS+, or SPSS) will include the custom variables tied to each respondent at the end of each row. Learn more about Custom Variables. Important: Custom variables are only supported on certain Survey Monkey plans, see Survey Monkey's plan page for more details.
- Select the default survey option for all new events. You can choose to use one of your survey templates, a SurveyMonkey default template, or have no default. Note: Learn more about analysing survey responses using each method.
- Edit the Email subject and Email content as required. Note: Learn more about replacers.
- Press Save.
Differences between sending from Arlo, or from SurveyMonkey
|Surveys sent from Arlo||Surveys sent from SurveyMonkey|
Allows you to have a consistent email template for all event communication - Surveys are sent using your Arlo email template.
Surveys use your SurveyMonkey email template.
|Allows you to see surveys sent in the Arlo Communication Log.||Does not allow you to see surveys sent in the Arlo Communication Log.|
|If your plan allows it, enables sending custom variables through the survey link enabling advanced reporting. All response data exported in SurveyMonkey (XLS, XLS+, or SPSS) will include the custom variables tied to each respondent at the end of each row. Learn more about Custom Variables.||Does not allow customer variable to be sent through with survey responses.|
|Allows you to use Survey Monkeys recipient tracking features to see who has opened your surveys.|
Important: Custom variables are only supported on certain Survey Monkey plans, see Survey Monkey's plan page for more details.
Surveys and attendance explained
Arlo will not send surveys to registrants who have been cancelled or marked as 'Did not attend' before the survey is sent.
- If you choose that the surveys should be sent when the event starts, Arlo will send the survey to all current registrants who have not already been marked as did not attend. If you know that a registrant is not going to attend, you should record them as not attended and/or cancel their registration before the event starts.
- If you choose that the surveys should be sent when the event ends, Arlo will also send the survey to all current registrants who have not already been marked as did not attend. You should record your attendance before the event finishes.
- If you choose that the surveys should be sent when attendance is recorded, Arlo will only send out the survey to all completed registrants who have been marked as attended. Important: Surveys will only be sent if attendance is marked within 2 weeks of the event end date if you use this option. Learn more about recording attendance.
Send surveys to registrants automatically
- Learn how to create a new event with a survey.
- Learn how to edit an event to send a survey when it is in-progress/complete.
Send surveys to registrants manually
Check that an event's surveys sent
To see a list of registrants, and whether or not a survey has been dispatched.
- Open the Events menu.
- Open the event.
- Select the Registrations tab.
- Select Feedback survey from the drop-down selection.
- A list of registrations will appear with the status of the survey. If the surveys were sent, a date and time the survey was sent will also be included. Hint: If you send surveys using Arlo (Web Collectors) the survey will also be in the events communication log.
Surveys are only sent to approved registrants (i.e. their registration was approved before the event started). In other cases where an event's surveys have not been sent, you will be able to see it in a list of events requiring attention.
- Open the Events menu.
- Select Requires attention.
- Check the errors display under the event name. Note: See below for information on how to resolve these errors.
FooterLink placeholder must be included in message body
The FooterLink placeholder is a link in the email sending the survey saying "powered by SurveyMonkey". As it is a mandatory link, if you do not include the [FooterLink] replacer in the body of the email sending the survey, the surveys will not send.
Reply-to email address not verified
In Arlo, you can edit the sender details for emails sent for each of your events, including the reply-to email address, which needs to be verified in SurveyMonkey.
Verification is required each time the reply-to address changes in an event, in order for the survey to trigger for that particular course.
If it is not verified, the surveys using this reply-to address will not send. Generally, you will only need one reply to address (your default), so will only need to complete verification once.
- Log in to SurveyMonkey.
- Select the survey in the list.
- Select the Collect Responses tab.
- Select Email Invite.
- Select the Options tab.
- Press Verify email address (may be in the ‘Sender email address’ drop-down section).
- Open the verification email and click the Verify Now link.
- Confirm the verification in SurveyMonkey.