In this article
This article provides information on setting up registration discounts in your Arlo platform including a description of what each discount setting achieves.
Registration discounts apply individually to each registration and belong to the registration. An order can contain more than one registration and/or event, with some or all registrations discounted as applicable.
Note: For multi-session events, discounts are only applied to the price on the overall event, not session prices.
Access registration discount settings
- Open the Discounts menu.
- Select the registration discount you would like to edit setting on.
You can edit the following settings for each registration discount.
The discount's name is visible on the management platform and to the registrant/order contact on the website checkout and the invoice. The description is only visible to admins within the management platform.
Example: Discount name and description in Arlo
The discount priority ensures that discounts are applied in the correct order when:
- There are multiple discounts available for an event/order, and
- One or more of the discounts are not allowed to be combined on the order.
In most cases, you can use the default priority, however, may choose to change this where you have multiple discounts.
Example: Discount priorities scenario
On all events, you have an early bird discount of 10% and a member discount of 20%. The discounts are not set to combine, i.e. a member cannot get the early-bird price on top of the member price.
If a member is registering during the early-bird period, both discounts will be available to them, so the priority is needed to tell the system which one they should get. The discount with the highest dollar value should be given the highest priority (lowest number in the platform).
There are a number of options available when determining how much a discount should deduct from the standard price (per registration). You can specify whether the discount amount should be calculated inclusive or exclusive of tax.
Registration discounts are always calculated from the original standard price rather than from any newly discounted prices.
- Discount the standard price by a percentage
- Discount the standard price by a fixed value
- Replace the standard price with a new value
Discount the standard price by a percentage
Selecting this option will mean that the standard registration price will be discounted by the percentage entered.
The following calculation means that the standard registration price will be discounted by 10%, to a maximum of $100. If the standard registration price is over $1000, the discount will remain $100 as this is specified as the maximum discount amount. The amount rounding ensures that you don't end up with odd values like $80.01.
Discount the standard price by a fixed value
Selecting this option will mean that the registration will be discounted by the amount entered.
The following calculation setting means that the standard registration price will be reduced by $100.00.
Replace the standard price with a new value
Selecting this option will mean that the standard registration price will be changed to the value entered.
- Note: You cannot allow discounts to combine if you have chosen the discount to be calculated by replacing the standard price, as you are specifying the actual amount the registration should be.
You can determine which criteria need to be met in order for discounts to be applied using the criteria settings.
- Apply the discount automatically
- Apply the discount automatically when certain criteria are met
- Apply the discount manually (administrators only)
Apply the discount automatically
Apply the discount automatically means that no special criteria need to be met for the discount to be applied.
Apply the discount automatically when certain criteria are met
Apply the discount automatically when specific criteria are met allows you to control when the discount should be applied automatically. Learn how to create different types of discounts using specific criteria.
Apply the discount manually (administrators only)
Apply the discount manually (administrators only) means that the discount can only be added to manually by administrators within the management platform. Learn how to apply registration discounts manually to orders.
Arlo supports listing the lowest price for an event based on the available discounts. You can select to have discounted pricing showing using the following methods.
- Show event pricing "from" on website event lists
- Show discounted pricing on individual event pages
- Add a discount review line to the checkout
The availability settings determine when a discount should be available, if there is a limit on the numbers it can be used, and if it can be combined with other discounts available.
Date/time and time zone
Entering a date range means that the discount will not be applied to any registrations outside of these dates. By default, the discount will be available on all registrations that meet the criteria, after they have been created.
Important: If the discount criteria is time-based e.g. early-bird, you do not need to configure the availability date. The time-based criteria setting already controls when the discount will be available.
Limit the number of uses
This setting determines the number of times a discount can be used.
You can view the number of times a discount has been used and its maximum usage from the discounts list page.
Allow/disallow discounts to be combined
This setting allows the discount to be combined with other registration discounts.
Where registration discounts are combined, all registration discounts applied will be subtracted from the price of the registration. For example, if two discounts of $100 value are applied to a registration totalling $500, the new price of the registration after discounts will be $300.
- You cannot allow discounts to combine if you have chosen the discount to be calculated by replacing the standard price, as you are specifying the actual amount the registration should be.
- Promotional code discounts cannot be combined with other promotional code discounts. Only the discount of the last promotional code entered will be applied in the checkout.
- Important If you also have order discounts available, they will be applied regardless of any registration discounts' priority. This means that if there is an order discount and a registration discount (that are both set to not combine) available to an order, they will still both apply as they are different discount types.
The accounting settings control how the discount shows on invoices, invoice data, and in your accounting system. We recommend you discuss this with your accountant or whoever is in charge of your organisation's finances, and set up all discounts accordingly.
- Apply discount by reducing registration line amount
- Apply discount by adding a new line to the order
Example: Apply discount by reducing the registration line amount
This setting means the discount will appear on the same line as the registration and will not create a separate order line.
Example: Apply discount by adding a new line to the order
This setting means that the discount will appear on a separate order line to the registration.
If you choose to apply discount by adding a new line to the order, you must select the account code that should be attributed to the discount.
The events settings control which events the registration discount can be applied to. The following are ways in which the discount can be applied to certain events, elearning activities, and templates.
- Apply to all events and elearning activities (no event restrictions)
- Apply to event dates by event tag
- Apply to elearning activities by template tag
- Apply to events and elearning activities by template tag
- Apply to specific events
Example: Apply to all events and elearning activities (no event restrictions)
This setting means that the discount can be applied for all events and elearning activities.
Example: Apply to event dates by event tag
This setting means the discount will apply to registrations of events (dates only, not all dates on the template) that are tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to elearning activities by template tag
This setting means the discount will apply to registrations of any elearning activities (not events) where the event template is tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to events and elearning activities by template tag
This setting means that the discount will apply to all events and elearning activities where the event template is tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to specific events
This setting means the discount will only apply to the individual event dates selected (not elearning activities). Important: If you select a template from the list, all existing scheduled events in that template will be selected, but if new events are added to the template, they will not automatically have the discount applied.