The following article explains how to use contact tags in Arlo to easily group and sort your contacts.
In this article:
- Alternatives to tags
- Add a tag to a contact
- Add a tag to multiple contacts
- View a list of tagged contacts
- Manage contact tags (create, delete, and rename)
Contact tags are keywords or terms that you can easily apply to records to help you describe and categorise contacts. For example, you can tag important contacts with the term "Key Contact" or "Decision Maker", people who manage the billing for an organisation as "Billing Contact", the person who manages training as "Training Manager".
Alternatives to tags
While tags can be very flexible and used for a wide range of purposes, make sure you also consider the following tools to decide on the best solution to meet your requirements.
- Order Flags - Flags allow you to add a special note on a contact or organisation that is displayed when viewing an order associated with the contact. For example, "Felicity has an overdue account", or "DesignQ requires a purchase order on invoices before payment". Learn more about flags.
- Custom Fields - You can create custom fields in your database when you want to capture specific information for a contact during registration or import the information. Learn more about custom fields and the different types of custom fields Arlo supports (e.g. drop-down, radio buttons).
Add a tag to a contact
The following process describes how to add a tag to a contact.
- Open the contact you would like to edit.
- Press New and the Tag.
- Enter the name of the tag you would like to add. If the tag already exists it will appear in the menu as you type. Select the tag to add it to the contact. If the tag does not exist, press Add Tag. A new tag will be created and added to the contact.
- Click Close. Tags will be stored in the contacts record for you to view.
Add a tag to multiple contacts
You can add the same tag to multiple contacts from contact lists.
- Select Contacts from the main menu.
- Select the contacts you would like to tag by ticking the checkbox in each row.
Note: You can apply filters to get a specific list of contacts.
- Press Actions and select Tag from the menu.
Enter the name of the tag you would like to add. If the tag already exists it will appear in the menu as you type. Select the tag and press Apply Tag to add it to all selected contacts. If the tag does not exist, press Apply Tag. A new tag will be created and added to all selected contacts.
- Press Tag Contacts.
View a list of tagged contacts
- Open the Contacts menu.
- Enter the name of the tag into the search box. A list of tags which match your search will appear in the menu as you type.
- Select the tag. Only contacts tagged with the tag you have selected will be displayed in the list.
Hint: You can then export the filtered list.
View all contacts and their tags
To view a list of all contacts and their tags:
- From the reports menu, download the full data list export (CSV).
- Open the contacts folder from the zip file.
- Contact tags will show in one column.
Manage contact tags (create, delete, and rename)
You can create, delete, or rename a tag from tag management list in your tag settings.
Access contact tags list
- Select Contacts from the main menu.
- Press More and select Tags.
Create a tag
- Press Add tag button. A new line will appear at the top of the tag list.
- Enter the name of the tag you would like to create.
- Click Save or just press Enter.
Delete a tag
- Select the tag you would like to delete by clicking on the row.
- Click Delete.
- Press Delete Tag.
Rename a tag
- Select the tag you would like to rename by clicking on the row.
- Click Edit.
Hint: Double-clicking the row will also allow you to edit the tag.
- Edit the name of the tag.
- Click Save.