In this article
Custom fields on contacts and organisations allow you to store information directly against a contact/organisation's record. Learn more about custom field types.
Once configured, contact fields can also be included within your registration forms so that any required data can be captured at the time of registration.
You can also import custom fields when adding/updating contacts in Arlo and run reports on field information.
- Add contact/organisation fields to your platform
- Add contact fields to your website registration forms
- Entering custom field information manually
- Reporting on custom fields
- Common issues
Unlike registration fields, which allow you to store the information against a single registration, contact/organisation field information is stored in a contact's record.
Contact fields should be used for information that can be overwritten by future registrations, for example, your applicants' contact details. If the information should never be overwritten, consider creating a custom registration field instead.
Add contact/organisation fields to your platform
Learn how to add, edit and remove contact and organisation fields on your platform.
Below are some examples of information you might want to capture at a contact level, as it is not likely that this will need to be changed across registrations:
- Emergency Contact Name
- License Number
- Education Level
- Year Graduated
- Passport Number
Add contact fields to your website registration forms
The following process outlines how to capture contact information during the website checkout process.
- Add the contact fields whose information you would like to collect to your website registration forms.
- Setup your website registration forms to include the custom contact fields.
Note: Contact fields are classified against the 'Contact' entity.
Add contact/organisation information manually
- Open the contact/organisation you would like to enter the custom field data against.
Note: You need to have already added your fields to the platform. Learn how to add, edit and remove fields.
- Enter the field information for the contact/organisation. Custom fields are added to the Personal/Company tabs.
Report on custom contact fields
If you have custom fields set up for your contacts/organisations on your platform (to include in your registration forms), you can report on these in the following reports.
- Registrations List Report (Contact only)
- Event Registrants Report (Contact only)
- Registration List (Advanced) Report
- Event List (Advanced) Report
- Application (Advanced) Report
- Order Lines (Advanced) Report
- Waiting List (Advanced) Report
Note: Multi-line custom fields cannot be included in the standard reports and custom date fields do not respect timezone settings.
To report on custom fields that are multi-line text type, you will need to use the advanced reports, e.g. Registration List (Advanced) Report.
Using the correct field entity
If the information you need to store is likely to change each time a contact registers e.g. 'Have you completed this course before?', this should be stored against a registration so that you do not lose any previously stored data. Contact and organisations will only retain the most recent field entry made during a registration.