Arlo allows you to accept payments and make refunds by credit card through the Arlo Shopping Cart using Stripe integration.
In this article:
- Payment process
- Setup Stripe integration in Arlo
- Stripe dashboard
- Stripe and Xero
- Reconciling Stripe payments in Xero
- Example of Stripe in Arlo checkout
Unlike other payment gateway integrations which pass registrants to an external billing page, the Stripe integration is embedded as part of the Arlo Checkout so registrants have a seamless payment experience.
Stripe does not require a merchant account to be set up, so you can start accepting payments in less than 10 minutes with Arlo. The Stripe integration also supports full and partial credit card refunds being completed within Arlo.
Note: Stripe still requires account verification before it can release funds received through Arlo. The Stripe integration supports full and partial credit card refunds being completed within Arlo.
Setup Stripe integration in Arlo
- From the Dashboard, click PaymentSettings, or go to Settings from the main menu and select Payment Settings.
- Press Add Payment Method.
- Select Credit Card.
- Select Stripe.
- Press Connect with Stripe. You will be directed to a connection page.
- If you have a Stripe account, click Sign In. This will complete the connection and you will be redirected back to Arlo.
- If you don't have an account, fill out the details and create an account and press Authorize Access.
- Choose your Payment Detail settings. This will complete the connection and you will be redirected back to Arlo.
- Choose if the method should available for registrants to select on your website checkout. Note: If you do not select this, the payment method will be available internally only.
- Choose the Payment Label. If you add a label, it will still display the default payment name (Credit Card), with the label added to the end of the default name within the Management Platform. e.g. Credit card [Stripe]. It will be displayed as Stripe on your checkout.
- Choose the Payment Messages to be displayed with the Payment Method on the checkout. Note: We recommend changing the default review message if you are using Stripe, as the gateway is integrated into the Arlo checkout. Users are not directed to an external page.
- Scroll to the top of the page and press Save or Save and Close.
As well as the order reports, and history stored in Arlo, you can see and manage every payment, and more right from your Stripe Dashboard. Each user gets an individual account with fine-grained permissions and two-factor authentication is available.
Stripe and Xero
If your Arlo platform is connected to Xero, and you are sending invoices from Xero you can take advantage of Stripe's partnership with Xero. When a customer pays a Xero invoice using their debit or credit card, Xero automatically separates out your Stripe fee making it even easier for you.
If you have Arlo sending your invoices and are connected to Xero you can include a payment link to pay for the invoice by credit card, however, fees will not be split out to a separate Xero account automatically.
Reconciling Stripe Payments in Xero
The following instructions are for the recommended process of reconciling stripe payments in Xero if you are sending your invoices from Arlo (not Xero). Hint: We recommend using two screens for this process (one screen with Stripe open, the other screen with Xero open).
- Log into your Stripe Account
- From the Stripe Dashboard, click on Payments
- From the Payments screen, filter the payments by date, and enter the date range you need. You should now have your payments listed with the Arlo order numbers visible in the description field. Note: Batch Payments from Stripe are typically made on a daily basis (at the end of business day) into your bank account.
- Open Xero.
- From the Xero Dashboard, you should see items requiring reconciliation. Press Reconcile.
- Press Match to see the exported orders from Arlo.
- In Stripe, look for the payments with matching names and order number in Xero.
View in Stripe:
View in Xero:
- The amounts will be different (due to the Stripe fee deduction) so you will have to add an 'Adjustment' in Xero.
- Click Adjustments and add either a bank fee or minor adjustment to balance the order with the transaction.
- Once you have balanced the amount in Xero, you can press Reconcile to reconcile the transaction.
Example of Stripe in Arlo checkout
The Stripe payment section is integrated directly into the final step of the Arlo checkout, so users have a seamless payment experience. Unlike other payment gateways - it does not redirect users to an external payment page. Once a user enters their card details and presses Confirm their order is submitted.