The following article describes how to create a self-paced elearning module in Arlo. Arlo allows you to create self-paced courses or on-demand videos, through the Elearning feature.
You can list an elearning module as a different delivery method for an event you also run in person, or you can host it separately on its own website template page.
In this article
There are a number of steps to complete the Elearning setup wizard in Arlo. Click on the links below to go straight to the instructions for a particular step.
- Type - Choose if the elearning module should use a template or not.
- General - Enter the general details of the elearning module, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- Website - Enter information about the elearning module to be displayed on your website.
- Schedule - Enter the elearning module URL.
- Registrations - Choose the registration method and registration form.
- Communication - Choose and edit automated emails sent to registrants.
- Approve and confirm - Approve the elearning module.
- Optional - Link an Elearning module to Moodle
Create an elearning module
- Open the Elearning menu.
- Press New elearning.
- If you have not run this module in Arlo select New elearning.
Note: This will also create a new event template to be used in the future.
- If you have run this module in Arlo or there is an existing template for it, choose New elearning from an existing template, and then select the template from the list.
- Press Next.
Enter the general details of the elearning module, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- From the General details section, enter the module name, and codes.
Note: Arlo recommends using the default codes which it will populate.
- If you have a specific administrator responsible for the module, assign them as the module or template manager. Elearning module and template managers can run reports for their activities and will receive email notifications about them.
- From the Terminology section, enter the term you would like your elearning module to be reflected as on the website and in the module instructions e.g. "Thanks for purchasing this [Singular terminology]".
- From the Price section, enter the price per registrant. If there is no price click Free elearning.
- If required, add your accounting codes and Xero tracking codes.
- If required, add the professional development points or hours.
- Press Next.
Enter information about the elearning module to be displayed on your website.
- From the Website page section, ensure your visibility settings are correct.
Hint: The website visibility will be set to published by default meaning anybody can find the elearning module on your website.
- If you are hosting the web content externally, edit the Page hosting settings and add the URL of the page with your elearning content. Learn more about hosting your own event pages.
- From the Website course content section, select the category/s the elearning module should be displayed in, on your website.
- Enter the information about your elearning module that will be displayed on it's template page.
Hint: Learn how to add new website content sections, or to Correct badly formatted text copied from Word (Bad HTML).
- From the Website elearning content section, select if the elearning module should be published on your website.
- From the Elearning content section, enter the URL that will be sent to registrants to access the training content.
Note: Arlo will automatically add this URL to the elearning instructions which you can edit at the end of this process.
Hint: If there is no content link (e.g. they will be sent one later) enter just http://www.test.com to allow you to proceed. At the Communications step, remove the URL from the email content.
- Select the registration method appropriate for the elearning module.
Hint: If you need to take payment from registrants, select Order Process. If the elearning module is free, select Quick Registration. If it is an external module and you are not managing the registrations, select URL.
- Enter the Registration message to be displayed with the elearning module on your website.
- From the Website registration form section, select the registration form for this elearning module.
Hint: Unless you require a specific form for this elearning module, you should use the default registration forms for maintainability purposes.
- Press Next.
- Choose and edit the automated elearning emails sent to registrants.
- Click Edit to customize the Registrant instructions.
Note: The following replacers are available for use in these emails.
[OnlineActivityURL] - URL for this elearning
[OnlineActivityName] - Name of this elearning
[OnlineActivitySingularTerm] - Singular term for this elearning
[OnlineActivityPluralTerm] - Plural term for this elearning
[OnlineActivitySingularTermLower] - All lower case singular term for this elearning
[OnlineActivityPluralTermLower] - All lower case plural term for this elearning
[Signature] - Email signature
[FirstName] - First name of the contact
[LastName] - Last name of the contact
[Title] - Title of the contact
[RegistrationUniqueIdentifier] - Registration's unique identifier
- Click Edit to customize the Registrant cancellation.
Approve and confirm
- If you wish for the elearning module to be published immediately, and you have finalised all of the details, press Create and approve.
- If you want to save the elearning module, but do not want to publish it or have any communication sent out, press Create as draft. You will be able to approve it when you are ready. Learn how to approve draft events.
Link an Elearning module to Moodle (optional)
Arlo offers a full integration with Moodle (Learning Management System) and enables you to create modules that people can complete in their own time, online, from anywhere. These modules can include SCORM packages, quizzes, surveys, wikis, and assignments, all while tracking completion. Course completion information and grades are fed back to Arlo automatically.