The following article outlines how contact and organisation addresses behave in Arlo, and how you can report on them.
In this article:
- Contact address overview
- Organisation address overview
- Address update behaviour
- Derived addresses for reporting explained
- Configure address fields
- Set an alternative billing address for organisations, e.g. head office
- Allow/prevent address updates in your website checkout
Important: If you want to collect the addresses of your registrants when they register online, you need to add the contact address field to your registration forms.
Against each contact, you can store a postal, and a work address (if enabled). Note: Work address is disabled by default, as Arlo can derive a contact's organisation address to use. Learn how to enable inactive fields.
Against an organisation, you can store a postal and a physical address.
Address update behaviour
- If the order contact selects Organisation as the payer, the postal address they enter on the order details page will be assigned to the organisation, not the order contact. If you want to protect the address you have for the organisation, you can prevent address updates in your website checkout.
- If the order contact selects Individual as the payer, the postal address they enter will be assigned to their own contact record. If the order contact is registering other people, this address will not be assigned to those contact records as well, only their own.
Derived/combined addresses for reporting purposes
Arlo allows you to report on and generate a list of contacts with an address that is either the organisation's postal address or, if one exists, the individual's postal address by using the Registrations List report.
To add the derived address fields to this report, select the required columns in the Derived postal/organisation address section.
Export contacts with derived addresses
- Learn how to export contacts.
- Ensure to choose Export marketing information (CSV) from the list of export options. The derived address is not included in the other export formats.
Configure address fields
Set up an alternative billing organisation for orders (e.g bill to head office)
Arlo allows you to set up an alternative billing organisation so that when a person places an order on your website and selects their organisation, the alternative billing organisation you have set up will be used in the order instead.
For example, if you have a large organisation with branch offices, you can ensure that all orders are billed to the head office (not the individual branches).
- Open the organisation you would like to add a different billing address for.
- Press Edit.
- Click Select an alternative billing organisation.
- Enter the alternative billing organisation.
- Press Save or Save and close.
Locate alternate billing details for an organisation
- Open the organisation you would like to locate the alternate billing details for.
- The name of the alternative billing organisation is next to Bill to.
Allow/prevent updates to an organisation's postal address via registrations
The following process outlines how to allow an organisation's postal addresses to be updated if a registrant enters an alternative address during the website registration process.
Before enabling this setting, consider the following scenario:
A customer registers for an event on the website and enters their head office as the order payer, and then adds their local branches address as the billing address. If an organisation already exists for the head office then Arlo will update the address of this record with the new address of the branch office.
Allow updates to organisation addresses
- Open the Settings menu.
- Click Organisations.
- From the General section, on the Postal address updates setting, tick
- Press Save.
Allow/disable updates on an individual organisation
- Find and open the organisation you would like to edit.
- Press Edit.
- From the General section, tick Allow updates during website registration.
- Press Save and close.