Arlo is set up to allow you to efficiently manage your recurring training and courses. Rather than having to copy all the same information (e.g. name, description, prerequisites) each time it is scheduled, common information about the course is stored within a course template.
If you are creating a new course with a date (which you have not run before) a new template will be created automatically.
Creating a course template
There are a number of steps to complete in the course wizard.
- Type - Select that you are creating a template.
- General - Enter the general details of the template, e.g. the name, code, and price.
- Website - Enter information about the template to be displayed on your website.
- Registrations - Choose the registration method, period of registration, and set registration limits.
- Communication - Choose and edit the automated emails.
- Open the Courses menu item.
- Press New course.
- From the Create a new... section, select New template.
- Press Next.
The General tab of the course wizard asks for the general information for the template, such as the name, code, and price.
- From the General details section, enter the template name, and code of your template.
Arlo recommends using the default codes which it will populate.
- If you have a specific administrator responsible for the template, assign them as the template manager. Course managers can be assigned tasks created using task sets, run reports for their courses, filter them on the course list and dashboards in Arlo, and will receive automated change notifications about them.
- From the What is the schedule? section, select the schedule of the template.
You cannot change the schedule type of a template, so ensure this is correct.
- From the Where will it be delivered? section, select an option. This can be changed later when setting up courses using the template.
- From the Price section, enter the default price per registrant. If the courses on the template will be free, enter 0.
- Select whether the price is including tax, excluding tax, or tax free from the drop-down.
- If required, add default professional development points or hours.
- If required, add default logistic settings.
- Press Next.
The Website tab of the course wizard holds all of the information about the template that will be displayed on your website and is also the place where you can activate the lead generation links.
- From the Website page section, ensure your visibility settings are correct.
The website visibility will be set to published by default. This means anybody can find the template on your website.
- If you are hosting the web content externally, edit the Page hosting settings and add the URL of the page with your course content.
- From the Website page content section, select the category/s the template should be displayed in on your website.
- Enter the information about your template that will be displayed on the course's website page in the website content sections.
- If you are using the Arlo website OR the Starter Hero Arlo Wordpress theme, you can add a Hero image (displayed on course template page) and/or a List image (displayed on the catalog and upcoming course pages). Click Add to insert either a Hero image or list image.
In order for these images to show on your website, you must be using the layout with images. For Arlo website users, learn more about enabling this from the Upcoming courses widget.
- From the Lead generation section, select whether or not you would like to accept leads on the course's website page.
- Press Next.
The Registrations tab of the course wizard holds all of the default registration settings for the template, such as the registration method, period, and limits.
- From the General section, select Accept website registrations.
- Select the default registration method appropriate for your template.
If you need to take payment from registrants, select Order Process. If the courses on this template will be free, select Quick Registration. If it is an external programme and you are not managing the registrations, select URL.
- Select the default period that registrations will be open and closed for courses on the template.
- Select the registration policy for courses on the template.
Learn more about registration policies.
- From the Website registration form section, select the registration form for courses on the template.
Unless you need a specific field just for courses on the template, you should use the default registration forms.
- Press Next.
The Communication tab of the wizard is where you can choose and, where available, edit the automated course emails that are sent to registrants. You will need to ensure that all appropriate emails you want to be sent are enabled.
- To activate an email click, Activate. To disable an email, click Deactivate.
Active emails will appear as a white line, deactivated emails will appear as a shaded grey line.
- Click Edit to add special instructions and attachments to your Registration confirmation (course instructions) email sent to registrants.
- Click Edit to add special instructions to the Presenter confirmation.
- Click Activate to send Registration reminder emails to registrants.
- Click Activate to schedule any automated reports to be sent to presenters.
This feature is only available on the Enterprise plan.
- From the Sender details section, check that the sender details are correct for courses on the template.
- Press Create template.