In this article
This article provides information on setting up order discounts in your Arlo platform including a description of what each discount setting achieves.
Order discounts are applied to the total order and are not associated with any events or registrations. They are always added to the order as a new line. Order discounts are intended for use by administrators for private events (where the price is per event and not per registration).
In other cases, you should be able to create the discount you need as a registration discount.
We advise caution when considering an order discount, as they pose several risks
- As they do not belong to an event or registration, they will not factor in event revenue reporting.
- Order discount information is only provided in the order details and not included in most reporting, e.g. if you want to report on how much each registrant paid.
- As the discount is applied to the whole order, any other registrations added to the order will also have the discount applied, regardless of the event settings in the order discount, which may mean that your registrants get discounts they are not meant to.
- There are also limited criteria and setup options for order discounts.
Access order discount settings
- Open the Discounts menu.
- Select the order discount you would like to edit setting on.
The discount's name is visible on the management platform and to the registrant/order contact on the website checkout and the invoice. The description is only visible to admins within the management platform.
Example: Discount name and description in Arlo
The discount priority ensures that discounts are applied in the correct order when:
- There are multiple discounts available for an event/order, and
- One or more of the discounts are not allowed to be combined on the order.
Important: If there is an order discount and a registration discount (that are both set to not combine) available to an order, they will both apply as they are different discount types, regardless of their priorities.
Example: Discount priorities scenario
On all events, you have an early bird discount of 10% and a member discount of 20%. The discounts are not set to combine, i.e. a member cannot get the early-bird price on top of the member price.
If a member is registering during the early-bird period, both discounts will be available to them, so the priority is needed to tell the system which one they should get. The discount with the highest dollar value should be given the highest priority (lowest number).
There are a number of options available when determining how much a discount should deduct from the order total. You can specify whether the discount amount should be calculated inclusive or exclusive of tax.
- Discount the order total by a percentage
- Discount the order total by a fixed value
- Replace the order total with a new value
Example: Discount the order total by a percentage
Selecting this option will mean that the order total price will be discounted by the percentage entered.
The following calculation means that the order total will be discounted by 10%, to a maximum of $100. If the standard order total is over $1000, the discount will remain $100 as this is specified as the maximum discount amount.
The amount rounding ensures that you don't end up with odd values like $80.01.
Example: Discount the order total price by a fixed value
Selecting this option will mean that the order total will be discounted by the amount entered.
The following setting means that the order total price will be reduced by $100.00.
Example: Replace the order total with a new value
Selecting this option will mean that the order total will be changed to the value entered.
You can determine which criteria need to be met in order for discounts to be applied using the criteria settings.
- Apply the discount automatically
- Apply the discount automatically when certain criteria are met
- Apply the discount manually (administrators only)
Example: Apply the discount automatically
Apply the discount automatically means that no special criteria need to be met for the discount to be applied.
Example: Apply the discount automatically when certain criteria are met
Apply the discount automatically when specific criteria are met allows you to control when the discount should be applied automatically. Learn how to create different types of discounts using specific criteria.
Example: Apply the discount manually (administrators only)
Apply the discount manually (administrators only) means that the discount can only be added to manually by administrators within the management platform. Learn how to apply order discounts manually to orders.
Arlo allows you to add a website review line to appear on the checkout screen and on invoices generated.
The availability settings determine when a discount should be available, if there is a limit on the numbers it can be used, and if it can be combined with other discounts available.
Example: Date/time and time zone
Entering a date range means that the discount will not be applied to any orders outside of these dates.
Example: Limit the number of uses
This setting determines the number of times a discount can be used.
You can view the number of times a discount has been used and its maximum usage from the discounts list page.
Example: Allow disallow the discount to be combined with others.
This setting allows the discount to be combined with other discounts.
- You cannot allow discounts to combine if you have chosen the discount to be calculated by replacing the standard price, as you are specifying the actual amount the order should be when the discount is used, therefore additional discounts won't work.
- Promotional code discounts cannot be combined with other promotional code discounts, as only one code can be entered when an order is being submitted.
- Important If you also have registration discounts available, they will be applied regardless of any order discounts combination and priority settings, as they are a separate type of discount.
The accounting settings control how the discount shows on invoices, invoice data, and in your accounting system. We recommend you discuss this with your accountant or whoever is in charge of your organisation's finances, and set up all discounts accordingly.
Order discounts will always add a new line to the order (which is not associated with any single registration or event), you must select the account code that should be attributed to the discount.
The events settings control which events the order discount can be applied to. The following are ways in which the discount can be applied to certain events, elearning modules, and templates. Important: Only one event needs to trigger an order discount for it to apply, if other events which the order discount is not applicable are added to the same order, the discount will still apply.
- Apply to all events and elearning modules (no event restrictions)
- Apply to event dates by event tag
- Apply to elearning modules by template tag
- Apply to events and elearning modules by template tag
- Apply to specific events
Example: Apply to all events and elearning modules (no event restrictions)
This setting means that the discount can be applied for all events and elearning modules.
Example: Apply to event dates by event tag
This setting means the discount will apply to orders of events (dates only, not all dates on the template) that are tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to elearning modules by template tag
This setting means the discount will apply to orders of any elearning modules (not events) where the event template is tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to events and elearning modules by template tag
This setting means that the discount will apply to all events and elearning modules where the event template is tagged with the specified tag.
Example: Apply to specific events
This setting means the discount will only apply to the individual event dates selected (not elearning activities). Important: If you select a template from the list, all existing scheduled events in that template will be selected, but if new events are added to the template, they will not automatically have the discount applied.