Arlo allows you to create and manage a private event (e.g. a custom course) for a client. It automatically sends booking confirmations including calendar appointments to the key contact, venue contact, and presenters. You can import event registrants' details from a spreadsheet and event instructions can be automatically sent as part of the process. Alternatively, staff can register themselves to the event directly.
Everyone receives event change notifications, including updates to their calendar appointments if event details such as the date, venue, or room change. You can generate an order and send a tax invoice for the event automatically.
Finally, all information about the event is stored for future reference, so that you know who you trained, when they were trained, the price you charged for the event, and all the event schedule information.
Important: You cannot import private events.
In this article
There are a number of steps to complete the event wizard in Arlo. Click on the links below to go straight to the instructions for a particular step.
- Type - Choose the type of event.
- General - Enter the general details of the event, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- Website - Enter information about the event to be displayed on your website.
- Schedule - Enter the dates, presenter(s), and other logistics of your event.
- Registrations - Choose the registration method, period of registration, and set registration limits.
- Communication - Choose and edit automated emails sent to registrants.
- Approve and confirm events - Approve and (if required) confirm any events in a tentative state.
- Private event orders - Create and bill the key contact (organisation) for the private event
Create an event
- Open the Events menu.
- Press New event.
Choose the type of event, e.g public or private event that is new or adding a new date to an existing event template.
- From the Create a new... section, select New private event.
- If you have presets loaded that you wish to use for this event, from the Wizard options, click Select preset.
- If you have not run this event in Arlo or created a template for it, select I have not run this event before. Note: This will also create a new event template to be used in the future.
- If you have run this event in Arlo or there is a template for it, choose I have run this event previously and would like to schedule another, and then select the template from the list.
- Press Next.
If you are using an existing template, you can skip to the Schedule step if you do not need to change any of the events website information or pricing since you last run it.
Enter the general details of the event, e.g. the name, code, and price, etc.
- From the General details section, enter the event name, and codes of your event. Note: Arlo recommends using the default codes which it will populate.
- If you have a specific administrator responsible for the event, assign them as an event or template manager. Event and template managers can run reports for their event/s, filter them on the events list and dashboards in Arlo, and will receive email notifications about them.
- From the What is the schedule section, choose the schedule for your event. Learn about different schedule types in Arlo.
- From the Where will it be delivered section, select At a venue.
- From the Price section, enter the price per event. If there is no price click Free event.
- If required, add your accounting codes and Xero tracking codes.
- If required, add professional development points or hours.
- Press Next.
Enter information about the event to be displayed on your website.
- From the Website page section, ensure your visibility settings are correct. Hint: Private events will never be displayed on your public website. If you are using the Arlo WordPress plugin, please refer to display private events while using WordPress plugin for the correct private event Website step settings.
- If you are hosting the web content externally, edit the Page hosting settings and add the URL of the page with your event content. Learn more about hosting your own event pages.
- From the Website course content section, select the category/s the event should be displayed in on your website.
- Enter the information about your event that will be displayed on the event's website page. Hint: Correct badly Formatted Text copied from Word (Bad HTML).
- From the Schedule details section, enter the date and time your event starts and ends. Note: Arlo will use these details to generate the calendar appointment sent to registrants.
- Type in the event venue, and room if necessary. Note: If the venue does not exist click + New to create a new venue.
- Add your presenter(s). Hint: Search for available presenters. If your presenters are to be confirmed, you can add provisional presenters. If the presenter does not exist click + New to create a new presenter.
- If required, assign support staff to the event.
- From the Options section, click +Add option to add any optional extras you would registrants to be able to purchase with their registrations. Note: Learn more about optional extras.
- Add the Organisation and Key contact you are running the event for. The key contact will receive an event confirmation email and will be the person the invoice for the event is directed to (if sent).
- If required, add your room setup and catering details for logistics management reporting.
- Press Next.
- From the General section, select Accept website registrations.
- Select the period that registrations will be open and close for the event.
- Select the registration policy for your event. Hint: Learn more about registration policies.
- From the Website registration form section, select the registration form for this event. Hint: Unless you need a specific field just for this event, you should use the default registration forms.
- From the Registration limits section, enter the registration limits and alerts for the event if required.
- Press Next.
Choose and edit automated event emails sent to registrants.
- From the Communication schedule section, ensure all appropriate emails you want to be sent are enabled.
- To activate an email click, Activate. To disable an email, click Deactivate. Hint: Active emails will appear as a white line, deactivated emails will appear as a shaded grey line.
- Click Activate to send event reminder emails to be sent to registrants. View a preview of a reminder.
- Click Activate to schedule any follow-up emails sent to registrants. Hint: We recommend only sending follow up emails either to all registrants, or attended and not attended registrants. View a preview of a follow-up email.
- Click Activate to schedule any automated reports to be sent to presenters. Note: This feature is only available on Arlo Enterprise.
- Click Edit to add special instructions and attachments to your registration confirmation (event instructions) email sent to registrants.
- Click Edit to customize the follow-up emails sent.
- From the Sender details section, check that the sender details are correct for your event.
- If you wish for the event to be published immediately, and have finalised the event details press Create and approve.
- If you want to save the event, but do not want to publish it or have any communication sent out press Create as draft. You will be able to approve the event when you are ready. Learn how to approve draft events.
If you have the event confirmation workflow turned on you will also need to confirm the event is running. Learn more about the event confirmations workflow.
- Open the event you would like to confirm.
- Click Confirm this event.
- Select the appropriate confirmation actions and Press Confirm event. Note: Communication associated with a confirmed event may take up to 15 minutes to be sent.
The following process describes how to create an order and send a tax invoice for a private event. When setting up your private event, you need to ensure it has a Key Contact as this is the person the order will be billed to.
Create an Order for a Private Event
- Open the private event that you would like to create an order for.
- Press New Order from the toolbar.
- You will be directed to the Order page with all billing and event information automatically added to the new order. The key contact will be set as the Order Contact.
- When you have finished completing the order, press Save.
- When you open the event, Arlo will display a message with the order details.
Registration Details on Orders for Private Events
Registrants are not listed on orders for private events because the price charged isn't necessarily directly linked to the number of registrants on the event. If you want to add the registrants' names or any other details to the order, you can add custom lines to the order.
As there are no registrants on the order, registration level discounts will not work. You should either create and add an order level discount or add a custom line with a negative amount to the order.